Every Friday and Saturday @ 9pm
Grand Final on Saturday, Sept. 7th for all previous winners
Our North Texas Champion will win a trip to the US Finals in New York City with a winning time over 7 minutes!
Masskrugstemmen, the traditional Bavarian Bier Stein holding contest, is a national competition that allows talented contestants to compete against each other to show off their stein holding skills.
We invite you to come participate in Bavarian Grill’s Masskrugstemmen and earn the honor of representing Bavarian Grill and North Texas in the National finals in New York City!
How It Works
Bavarian Grill will host this event every Friday and Saturday at 9pm until September 6th, with a GRAND FINALE on September 7th at 9pm. The winners of the run offs will compete in the Grand Finale with the winner earning a trip to the National Championship that will be held after the Steuben Parade in Central Park, New York City, NY. arriving on September 20th,if they achieve a Stein Holding Time of seven (7) minutes or better.
So to recap…
- The Masskrug is a 1 liter Hofbräu glass stein
- The Masskrug is filled with 1 liter of Hofbräu beer to the mark. The combined weight of Stein and Beer is approx. 5.4 pounds.
- The Masskrug is to be held with one arm, left or right, stretched out in front of the body (not sideways!), and completely parallel to the floor.
- Your thumb cannot be on top of handle. Opposite arm must be straight down not supporting your body in any way.
- The stein must be held by the handle. It CANNOT be held through the handle hoop, or by the actual body of the stein.
- The Hofbräu logo must always face towards the front of the contestant (away from the contestant) and towards the audience.
- The contestant may not wear any form of artificial support on his/her arm, elbow, wrist, hand or back, including taping or bandaging the arm, elbow, wrist, hand or back for the competition.
- The contestant may also not wear a back brace during the competition.
- Any powder, pine tar or similar substances on the hands are also forbidden.
- There is no switching of hands once the competition has started.
- If the arm holding the Masskrug is not absolutely parallel to the floor, the contestant gets a warning, the yellow card – after two warnings follows disqualification, the red card.
- Any spilling of beer is an automatic disqualification
In cooperation with Hofbrau, many restaurants, bars and German Clubs across the US are selected to hold regional tournaments. Bavarian Grill is honored to be one of those selected to hold a Regional Competition, the North Texas regional competitons and qualifying the winner directly, thus the 7 Minute gate to conquor.
The Final Competition in New York City
62st Annual Parade on September 21, 2019!
The competitor representing Bavarian Grill will be sponsored by Bavarian Grill if they achieve the winning Stein Holding Time of seven (7) minutes or better. S/he will receive plane tickets for two, a two night stay at the Watson Hotel @ 440 West 57th Street, a commemorative T-Shirt and some spending money.
An estimated 5,000 people will be in attendance in Central Park.
The winner will be named “US Champion in Masskrugstemmen” and will receive a trip for two to Munich, Bavaria for three days (excluding Oktoberfest) to visit the original Hofbrauhaus.
The prize includes round-trip airfare, hotel accommodation and dinner at the Hofbrauhaus.
Additionally, the winner’s photo will be framed and hung by the hostess’ area at Bavarian Grill. The photo will be accompanied by a written announcement of the victor’s accomplishment
2012 U.S. Champion in “Masskrugstemmen”
Unfortunately, previous national winners are not allowed to compete at a national level. Sorry, Cody!
(Fun Fact: Masskrugstemmen literally means “beer-stein holding.”)